2016 – 2017 School Year
As an intern with Bridgepointe, Maura is collaborating with the Academy of the Americas to create the very first food pantry built directly into a Michigan school. She will be using past successes and case studies throughout the United States to determine the best way to facilitate and run this lasting endeavor. She will be applying her artistic skills to create a name, logo, and promotion for this new exciting project.
2015 – 2016 School Year
- Bridgepointe distributes 200 backpacks, packed by the Meadowbrook Country Club swim team, to children at our partner schools in Detroit.
- Teachers at Neinas Elementary and Experiencia Academy in Detroit received “welcome back” to school bags. The bags contained tissues, Clorox wipes, and teacher school supplies; donated by the Meadowbrook swim team.
- El Sueño students walk the Dequinder Cut, visit the DNR Outdoor Adventure Center in Detroit DNR naturalists showed them the wetlands and wildlife along the Riverwalk en route to the Renaissance Center. El Sueño students were treated to lunch at Coach Insignia on the 72nd floor of the RenCen, where they learned about local sourcing and healthy food choices from the restaurant’s chef and owners.
- The Neinas Elementary-Thornton Creek Elementary second grade pen-pal program kicked off, for the third year. Students at the schools correspond with their pen-pals through out the school year. Bridgepointe volunteers assist with letter writing at Neinas Elementary. The program culminates in a field day at Thornton Creek, a Northville public elementary school.
- Weekly lunch-time tutoring starts for El Sueño students.
- Boy Scouts Troop Trece Quince start weekly meetings at Academy of the Americas.
- Kraemer Design Group provides school supplies to El Sueño students.
- The Reading Buddies program kicks off at Neinas Elementary for the fifth consecutive year. Bridgepointe volunteers read with kindergarten – second grade students to work on reading skills and reading comprehension. The program is held every Tuesday through out the school year.
- Bridgepointe volunteers work on library improvements and book donations for the Experiencia Academy library.
- Monthly book club meetings start for El Sueño students.
- Bennett Elementary’s second and third graders receive complimentary tickets to see a play at the Marquis Theater buses provided by Bridgepointe.
- Academy of the Americas Boy Scout Troop 1315 spent a glorious October weekend camping on Belle Isle.
- Bridgepointe helps support students participating in the Day of the Dead race through Southwest Detroit.
- As part of the curriculum Divine Child Spanish Students work with El Sueño students on what it means to be involved in social activism.
- Students from Experiencia Academy attend a live performance at the Marquis Theater in Northville, hosted by the Marquis and Bridgepointe.
- Holiday Magic, a school wide workshop, is held at Experiencia Academy. A large variety of art projects, organized by local artists, were available for the children to make and take home. Volunteers included Northville High School and Wayne State University students.
- The Neinas holiday party was held for the 17th consecutive year. Each child received a gift, pizza lunch, ice cream and a visit from Santa. Volunteers included families from Meadowbrook Country Club, Northville Public Schools, the First Presbyterian Church of Northville,and several local businesses. The party was funded by Bridgepointe partner companies and individual donations of money and gifts.
- Bridgepointe host six holiday school parties – hundreds of volunteers, suburban school students, businesses and community organizations spend the day at a Detroit school providing music, gifts and friendship to over 3000 Detroit school children.
- We kicked off our new “Battle of the Books” program with our Academy of the Americas fourth graders with Ria Joshi from Novi high school organizing and running the event.
- Storyteller brings the written word to life for the El Sueño students.
- Bridgepointe and AoA parent meeting building community partnerships
- El Sueño students enjoyed experiencing Detroit’s past as they learned about Henry Ford and his Model T at the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant in Detroit and then tour the Detroit Historical Museum.
- Artist creativily interacts with El Sueño students to encourage self expression.
- March is reading month activities take place at Neinas Elementary throughout the month. These include a visit from a Wayne State doctor, guest readers from radio station 96.3 and a school wide literacy day; with many Bridgepointe volunteers and a book give away.
- Bridgepointe takes some Academy of the Americas high school students on a tour of the Shinola design center.
- Third graders from Roberto Clemente along with Plymouth/Canton Honor Students visit the DIA together.
- El Sueño students get a tour at the DIA.
- Northville’s RidgeWood Elementary donate thousands of gently used books to Detroit’s Earhart Elementary-Middle School to celebrate March is Reading Month.
- Northville’s Amerman and Detroit’s Roberto Clemente experience Kids Helping Kids at Gleaners.
- Lego lunch club kicks off at Neinas with volunteers from Wayne State and Detroit Catholic Central. Students have an opportunity to learn problem solving , math and social skills through building Legos, puzzles and playing board games.
- Students from Neinas and Experiencia attend a performance at the Marquis Theater, hosted by the Marquis and Bridgepointe.
- Northville High School Congress donate 100 drawstring back packs filled with a reusable water bottle, map of Michigan, pen and paper for the El Sueño Mackinac Island Trip. They also gave an interactive presentation about Mackinac to the students.
- Thornton Creek second grade pen-pals visit Neinas Elementary for Cinco de Mayo, hosted by Neinas and Bridgepointe.
- El Sueño goes to Mackinac Island for a three day adventure sponsored by Bridgepointe. Over 120 students, parents and volunteers enjoy an amazing experience together.
- Wayne State students put on a field day for the third graders at Roberto Clemente.
- Plymouth/Canton High School students plan and organize a field day for the fourth and fifth graders at Roberto Clemente.
- On various days this month, our Kids Against Hunger program will be bringing students from Winchester, Holbrook, Ridge Wood, Academy of the Americas, Silver Springs and Bennett together to package a protein enriched rice meal that will feed the hunger locally, nationally and internationally.
- Some Northville High School soccer players will be putting on a spring soccer clinic for the El Sueño students.
- Bridgepointe volunteers working with Neinas first graders on an art project.
- Tuesdays in May – Reading Buddies at Neinas 9:30 – 11:40
- Fridays May 6, May 13, May 27 – Lego lunch club at Neinas 10:20 – 1:00
- Friday May 20 – Field Day at Thornton Creek, hosting Neinas second grade
- Thursday, June 1 – Tie-dye at Neinas with third grade students
- Wednesday, June 7 – Field Day at Neinas with first grade 12:30 – 2:30
- Monday, June tbd – Swim day at Meadowbrook country club